Our boy is one month old today! Can you believe it? It seems like he just arrived.
Checkup stats- 9lbs 15 ozs, 22.5 inches long, 39.5 cm head (translation: Still Big). His ped declared that (please imagine this in a female Czech accent), he had the head and limb control of a 2 month old. Also, he can do this:
Self soothing! Hooray!
Clearly he is a genius.
In four short weeks he has gone from this:
To this:
Why is there a toy raccoon, owl, and hedgehog (?) attached to my bouncer, Smith would like to know.
Just in the last few days he has begun to vocalize, cooing and chirping as he stares at the ceiling (or his "woodland friends"-whatever, Fisher Price). It is devastatingly cute. You know that with Peng, Kraft, and Smith DNA in the mix he is going to be a talker. Might as well start practicing early.
II. Visit
Last week Grandma Joanne and Grandpa Richard flew out from Virginia to meet Bunting. Alas, I have no documentation of this, because all of the photog-ing was done by Grandpa. However, rest assured that a wonderful time was had by all.
We went for a hike amongst the redwoods at Henry Cowell State Park, to the Santa Cruz wharf, Fritz cooked a delicious Thai dinner, and there was much cuddling and admiring the boy. Fritz and Richard listened to our stereo system (loudly) whilst Joanne, Mepher and I hung out in the baby's room and dished. Super fun.
My sister and I grew up without any grandparents; the fact that Bunting has two sets of doting grandparents brings me great joy.
III. The Return of the Nerves: What They Don't Tell You About Caesarean Sections (and by 'they' I mean the Internet)
The c-section that delivered Bunting is the first surgery I have ever had, and so I was quite anxious at the prospect, and as a result did a lot of research so I would know what to expect. I showed up at the hospital with my own supply of Colace, underwear, feminine products, ibuprofen, pillows, nightgowns. All in all, I was quite prepared, from a practical standpoint.
What I didn't know, that I didn't read EVER in my dozens- possibly hundreds- of Google searches, was that often you end up numb around the incision, due to the severing of nerves during surgery, and that the feeling might never return. Oh.
It is very odd indeed to have a section of your skin be numb, so I am happy to report that the feeling is returning. Unfortunately, as the nerves come back online it is kind of uncomfortable; it is akin to the sensation of tingling/pain that you experience after your foot or leg falls asleep and the blood begins to recirculate. I really should just shut up about the whole thing, because I have to admit that this nerve thing is the most discomfort I have experienced to date.
I know. I must have been really good in a former life, to have been blessed with such an easy pregnancy and delivery, AND a healthy and magnificent baby boy.
FRK is such a good daddy
No comments:
Post a Comment