Saturday, January 30, 2010

6 weeks, the debut of the smile, a return to fitness (hopefully)

I. 6 Weeks Old
Our little doodlebug is 6 weeks old. Wow! 
He is growing and acquiring new skills at a dizzying rate. 
As of Tuesday, he weighs in at 11 lbs, 9 ozs. He is plumping up nicely. 
 
Buddha baby

  He has begun to track things with his eyes, make noises to get your attention, and attempt to touch items with his hand when they are dangling above. 

FRK has begun to give him a bottle of pumped milk every day.  Bunting has no issues with taking a bottle, and they have some very nice bonding time whilst he is eating. FRK is amazing; he dances around the house with the baby to keep him happy so I can shower, eat with two hands, etc; he has become an expert diaper changer, no mean feat, since we use cloth diapers-for a variety of reasons, the main one being that they are just much kinder to his bum. When I first brought up the idea of cloth diapers, and showed him a how-to video, he broke into a sweat (literally) and refused to consider it. There is lots of folding and pinning involved, though no actual pins any longer. Example: (the fastener thingie is called a Snappi)
But he has mastered it, as I knew he would. He takes his time, and turns diaper changing time into bonding and chatting opportunity. Bunting loves it, and I have learned to emulate his method, and to take my time and not just treat it as a mission to be accomplished.
Cloth diapers require a waterproof cover over them; isn't it cute? Goes without saying that the Man and the Baby are the cutest evah. 

II. The Debut of the Smile
This week Bunting has cranked up the dial on the mindblowing cuteness, and has begun to smile with intent. I'm really not sure if I can handle it. 
 
I warned you.

However most of the time he looks like this: 
 

Because he is a Kraft male, he is frequently quite dubious:
 
  Really? 
Sometimes quite confused: 
what?!
Always devastatingly cute: 
 

III. A Return to Fitness (I hope)  
Bunting is 6 weeks old, therefore I am 6 weeks post-partum, and cleared to exercise. Yesterday Bunting and I went for a jog/walk for the first time. Gigi (the artist formerly known as great-grandmother Florence) generously gifted us a fantastic jogging stroller. The BOB Revolution is the Rolls Royce of strollers; incredibly well made, it glides like buttah, and the front wheel swivels, which makes it much more maneuverable than those with a fixed wheel (though you have the option to lock the wheel as well):
 
This thing is nicer than most people's vehicles

Overall, it went quite well. Bunting fell asleep immediately, and I am not as out of shape as I feared. I was in fantastic shape when I got pregnant (kickboxing 4 nights a week; bloody knuckles and all, it was a fantastic way to manage my anger and grief), and I moved around a lot for my job, which helped.  It will take me a while to figure out a good method for pushing the stroller and swinging just one arm. It felt so darn good to get out and get the blood really moving. 
  
Bunting would rather sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment