Monday, June 7, 2010

Half a year!

Welcome friends! 
Look into my eyes...
C'mere. I have something to tell you. 

Our Bunting Boy, the artist formerly known in utero as The Tic Tac and The Parasite (lovingly, but of course), currently known as Smith, Smithy, Scribbs, Scribbalicous, Scribbtastic, Baby Boy, Doodlebug, NuNu, Bunting Bean... (the volume of nicknames is ridiculous, but that's just our way) is SIX MONTHS OLD. We cannot believe so much time has passed.  Before we had Bunting, people often said to us "you won't even remember what life was like before you had a kid".  For us, this is not true.  We do remember, and think of that time with great fondness and nostalgia, while simultaneously enjoying to the hilt our new life as parents to this magical boy.
Pensive
Ah yes. I remember when I was a wee lad, only weeks old...
Stats: 
19 lbs, 2 ozs (83rd percentile)
27.75 inches long (91st)
46 centimeter noggin (98th) 


This baby is ridiculously sunny and happy.  He absolutely loves socializing, put him in a social situation and he is content, and has become a giant flirt. Last week he met our nanny's mom at the park, and spent the visit alternately hiding his face in V's shoulder, and then turning to her mom and giggling and beaming. 
100_0454
SweetieGlee


Last weekend we spent the night with Papa T and Mamaji in Elkhorn, and evidently Bunting was feeling ignored by the adults, because he debuted a little fake cough. He made a sad "eh-eh" sound, and when I turned my full attention to him he just beamed and his cough magically disappeared. Look away- cough; pay attention to him- totally fine. Stinkerbug! 

100_0490

Snuggling with Grandpa Tom
He is growing and developing at a dizzying pace. Every day his distinct personality becomes clearer and clearer, and it is so very fun to watch. He loves music in any form. We all sing to him, and he loves to listen to the stereo with Daddy. I am going to have to acquire a sound-proofed reading room at some point. I do believe there is going to be a lot of loud music in my future. 

FRK has also introduced him to the world of iPhone, and he is mesmerized:
100_0441
His grabby little hands want to explore everything within reach; we must clear a radius when he is near, or he will lunge and grab and have the item in his mouth lickety split. 
100_0449

The fools left a spoon on the table. It's mine now! 

He continues to love the world of solid foods.  When I returned home from work the other day, this is what I saw: 
100_0455
Sweet potatoes + a giant mess + Daddy being silly = A very happy Bunting 

He continues to love playing with his feet-
100_0423
-and has recently discovered the joys of sucking on his big toe.  
Toes
Really, who needs toys, when you have feet and hands?


He has also decided that being vertical is where it's at, and as a concession to this new development, we have made peace with our fate, and purchased our first, large, brightly colored plastic baby thing. The Boy's legs are very strong (no surprise there; FRK has tree trunks for legs, and I have the legs of a Turkish weight lifter, unfortunately) and he bounces around in the thing with such vigor that he may actually wear the thing out.
Command Center!

We're not sure if he likes it. We'll keep you posted. 


FRK was less than thrilled when he first laid eyes on what he instantly dubbed "The Command Center", but when he saw how much Bunting loves this thing, he became a convert.

As you will see in the video below, running The Command Center is a very active endeavor. 
He sleeps happily in his crib every night, though recently he has begun to periodically wake in the middle of the night, discover that he is on his stomach, and get vewwwwwy angry. We just go in and flip him over, give him his froggie, and then he falls right back asleep. When awake he can roll from front to back, and back to front with great ease.
100_0514
Daytime tummy time= thumbs up. Night time= boo hiss.

His room used to be our TV room; we finally moved it out of there, and now his room is all his. There is a lovely view of the trees from his window, and it is the coolest room in the house during the summer.
Bunting's room2
In real life, the room does not list to the right

His room is filled with little gifts from the people who love him.
Clockwise:
- the lovely throw pillow on the glider is from DRD Richard and Grandma J
- the glider is from our friends the Richmonds
- Snow globe on the table is from Auntie Jen
- the piggy bank is from the Sheths
- Gigi purchased the sheep on the spur of the moment, and it is wonderful.
It plays several types of white noise.
- The quilt on the wall and pillow on the rocker are from Mepher and Joshua
- On the wall are prints from Mexico, the Frida Kahlo-esque cat from Gigi, and the horse from Mamaji
- The plate on the wall is an antique "Baby Bunting" plate from Uncle Tim and Aunt Melissa


Baby Bunting plate from Uncle Tim
"Baby Bunting and little dog Bunch, go ahunting and take their lunch"


Adorable, no? There is a matching bowl as well, I need to figure out how to mount it.


Bunting's room1


Every child who has ever laid eyes on the big brown bear (from Gigi) has loved it. The blue and red blankie was crocheted by Bunting's paternal great-great-great grandmother. Mamaji had it professional repaired and refurbished.  


Anyone who knows me knows that I was baby crazed long before I had my own.
As true evidence of how mind-bogglingly quickly time passes, behold: 
100_0448
100_0445


These are the two who started it all.
My love affair with Brian began when he was 3 months old, I was his nanny for 3 wonderful years. I have loved Marie since she was in utero (the day she was born I showed up at their house at 5:15 am, dancing with excitement- those who have seen me in the morning know just how jazzed I must have been to be fully awake and in a good mood that early in the morn). And now they are 10 and 8!


I loved, loved, loved being their nanny. And it was my time with them that has made the transition to motherhood so relatively easy for me. 


I can remember their babyhood so very clearly, like it was yesterday. The pure delirium and chaos that reigned the day that Brian walked for the first time (clever boy waited for Mommy to be home, and on his parent's anniversary no less!), the look of pure glee on Marie's face when I would fetch her after her nap. They are growing up in the blink of an eye. And so every day I look at my beautiful boy and just try to slow down, relax and drink it in.
Feet!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment