This week Bunting weighs approximately 4.5 pounds, measures about 17 inches long, and his respiratory system is almost completely mature. He will continue gain about 1/2 a pound a week from here on out.
I had a checkup today, and everything is just as it should be. Heartbeat (his) is strong- 140 bpm, fundal height (top of pubic bone to top of uterus) is right on track, blood pressure (mine) continues to be normal. I am up 1 pound in two weeks, 16 pounds total so far (also normal). He is already head down, and will likely stay there for the duration-- there is little room in there for him to flip around.
On Thursday F and I went to see Ravi and Anoushka Shankar in concert. Ravi Shankar is 89 years old, so this may very well be his last American tour. The concert was fantastic. When he appears on stage he looks like a doddering old man, guided by the elbow by a handler. Then he sits down on a platform, adjusts his sitar, begins to play-- and decades melt away. He plays with such vigor and virtuosity that it is truly amazing. His daughter was fantastic as well. At one point F had his arm draped over my belly, and Bunting kicked with such force that F's arm jumped in the air. He's a strong little bugger, and he really reacts to music. If I stand right in front of one of F's speakers he moves like crazy.
Last Saturday was our baby shower. My sister did a phenomenal job hosting (she has been planning this since about week 8); our friend Pilar very generously lent her beautiful house as the venue, and it was a gorgeous, sunny day. Showers can be kind of tedious, no matter how joyful the impending arrival, but I dare say that everyone had a good time. The emphasis was on visiting and socializing, and just having a good time. The food was delicious, my sis procured a divine guava cake, and it was so great to have so many of my friends in one place at one time.
My only pregnancy related complaints are that getting in and out of bed/chairs/the car is increasingly difficult; F has to help me put on socks; and I have a bit of carpal tunnel in my right hand due to pressure on the nerve from increased blood flow and fluid retention. This is apparently not uncommon in pregnant women. Overall I continue to feel great, and am beginning to feel wistful that I am closer to the end than the beginning of pregnancy. I love feeling him move inside me. As much as I am looking forward to finally meeting him, I will miss this time when it was just the two of us, communing in such a special and unique way.
This week the kids at school suggested that for Halloween I should be a pumpkin. "'Cause you're shaped like one already!" Ahhhh, first graders. They calls 'em like they sees 'em.
No comments:
Post a Comment